Contribute to the development and industrialization of new Aluminum alloys/solutions for implementation in next generation applications for Constellium Aerospace, industry & Transportation markets.
To this end, the jobholder will be expected to contribute to the definition of property goals (on the basis of customer requirements), the design of the alloys and associated processes and follow experimental plans aimed at meeting these goals, and interpret the data thus generated experimentally and during industrial testing / production ramp up. The recommended solutions will have to be innovative and to take advantage of Constellium industrial assets.
The position will involve working in a multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural Research & Technology project team, and in direct connection with Constellium Aerospace & Transportation Business Unit plants, in association with customer technical support organization.
As safety is our number one value at Constellium and at the heart of everything we do, you will also contribute to C-TEC's zero accident policy by enforcing all EHS rules, writing GTPs (General Work Permits) when necessary, conducting safety visits, reporting any accidents or near accidents and being mindful of the safety of others.
Key accountabilities :
Technical and Metallurgy:
- Provide project teams with metallurgical options based on scientific literature, relevant patents and Constellium knowledge review;
- Contribute to the definition of project objectives by concise description of property targets;
- Design experiments, based on C-TEC prototyping capabilities or industrial processing to test proposed options, to demonstrate innovative options;
- Gather results and interpret data, and make appropriate/solid recommendations to the BU’s plants and sometimes external customers;
- Develop and propose innovative solutions for data analysis (AI,…);
- Share the knowledge through clear and high quality reporting;
- File patents when possible and relevant;
- Increase personal metallurgical skills through international networking;
- Contribute to the Environmental Constellium objectives via the alloy design (recycling ability) and the processes optimization;
Skills required :
Knowledge, know-how and technical skills
• Technical competencies
A masters-level degree or engineering qualification in physical science (e.g. Materials, Engineering, Physics, Chemistry) is necessary. Demonstrated competencies in R&D (literature review, experimental methods, data analysis,) will be a plus.
The ideal candidate will have a first experience, for example during an internship, in a metallurgical engineering/laboratory environment. A focus on one of Constellium market application (aerospace, transportation, automotive or packaging) will be a plus.
- Ability to work in a multicultural environment, for example through a period of training or professional experience acquired outside the native country.
- Data analysis (databases, statistics).
- Show an attraction to industrial challenges, and strong willingness to join an industrial facility after a first R&D experience.
- Be focused on results.
- Rigor, perseverance, speed; proactivity to enable decision making.
Teamwork, communication skills
Other skills :
Written and spoken English is mandatory;
Basic written and spoken French is also necessary to be able to interact with C-TEC Technicians.
Other specificities :
The main difficulty of the position is to acquire the metallurgical Constellium knowledge before
designing new experiments and making recommendations.
As a shared resource between several projects, the candidate will have to manage priorities by a proper scheduling of his time work.
High number of interfaces: Project managers, C-TEC laboratories, BU/Plants representatives, customers.
In particular, the interaction with industrialization teams of Constellium plants will be key and will require some travels/trainings, especially in the initial period.
Some international travels expected.